Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Apple Butter

I forgot to mention that I made apple butter from scratch this weekend and it was super yummy and really not that much work. My friend Courtney who is the canning queen got me motivated to try it. I remember as a kid my Mom making apple butter and how much I loved it. So I bought up like 8 pounds of different apples and attempted the task Friday night. It's really easy, you boil the apples in a little bit of apple juice until they're soft, then put them through a food mill. This basically makes apple sauce. Then the apple sauce goes into the crock pot with some spices and simmers for like 12 hours. Finally you can the stuff. I actually didn't have to can since I made a small batch and sent a few jars home with my Mom. For those of you who have ever thought of canning or even just making your own apple sauce or apple butter I urge you to try. The stuff you make tastes a thousand times better than the store bought. I'm thinking about making my own apple sauce in the coming months. Courtney turned me on to an awesome website that walks you through how to can or freeze just about anything. www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm this is the link to the apple butter link, but navigate the site, it's pretty cool.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Thanks for the link to the site Lacy. Your butter sounds very yummy, I'm tempted to try it just to make my house smell good!

Rosanne said...

I'm so impressed and proud of you. You'll just have to bring some to town and share...cause it sounds so yummy but I know I'll never get around to doing it. I would love to, but who am I kidding. :)

Anonymous said...

tee hee... I am sort of with Rosanne, Lacy... wish I weren't. I have this Artisian Bread (in 10 minutes a day!) and a 10 minutes a day Pilates video just waiting for motivation to strike.

and still waiting.

Was S's shower fun? ;)

Kari said...

Your applebutter was fabulous!
My whole jar is almost gone.