Saturday, January 29, 2011

Waffles

I have been wanting a Norwegian waffle maker since we came to Norway, yet for some reason paying $70 for a waffle maker just seemed insane. Every time we would go into a store that sold the makers I would look at them, contemplate buying one and then invariably leave the store without a waffle maker. Then the other week my darling husband came home with one that he found for about $50 and without even asking he bought it! Let me just say, I was pretty damn excited. We have been having waffles a lot since said purchase and I am loving it! The machine!!
Yummy!

Norwegian waffles are sweeter and less crisp than the American version. Traditionally they are eaten with brown cheese or fruit compote and sour cream. They can be folded in half and eaten with ones hands. To many Norwegians horror, I actually doused mine in maple syrup ;) Avery had apple pie filling on hers. Here is the recipe that I have been using.


Norwegian Waffles

500 ml plain flour (about 1.5 cups)
2 teaspoon baking powder
100 ml sugar (about 1/2 cup)
500 ml milk (1.5 cups)
2 eggs
50 ml melted butter ( about 2 tbs)
drops of vanilla essence for flavor

Method
Make a smooth batter with the flour, baking powder, sugar and milk. Beat in the eggs and butter (and vanilla). Let the batter set for 30 minutes before cooking in a waffle maker.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Awww... how sweet of him! The waffles sound great and thank you Lacy for converting them into measurements I know!