Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This too will pass - I hope!

I am desperately fighting to stay away from the clutches of yet another cold. The small one already has it and I’ll be damned if mine is going to become full blown. Airborne followed by Xicam every four hours, lots of water and vitamins. This is my life this winter. I remember longingly the year that I was pregnant and I did not get sick even once. Then the small one came and I discovered that my immune system is not as strong as I once thought.

Last night I worked desperately to tidy up the house. Three weeks of Mommy feeling sick takes a toll and that little cough that hung around all Monday singled yet another bout with an unknown bug. Dishes and random crap piled all over the counter, hair balls taking vacation in our corners, cat litter that hasn’t been changed for two weeks and the laundry, oh the laundry. When I signed on to be a Mom I never expected months of feeling like crap as one of the side effects. Nor did I realize how twenty minutes a night of picking up really did keep the house looking presentable.

I try to remember when my Mom first started working at a daycare and was sick for months during the first couple of winters before her immune system built some muscle. I try to remember that the small one will eventually develop an immune system and will get the average couple of colds a year. In the meantime I try to remember that this too will pass and spring is right around the corner. If only it would peak its damn head out a little sooner!

No comments: